Thursday, March 17, 2011

I think about food a lot

 The other day, I woke up and went on an early morning run. Upon coming home, I proceeded to snarf down an alarming amount of caramel popcorn for breakfast. I could have slept in, skipped the popcorn and broken even.

They say that you shouldn't go to the grocery store when you are hungry. I don't even understand how this is possible. Have "they" ever been to the grocery store? I am not hungry when I decide to go to the store. I am not hungry while driving to the store. But the second that I walk into the store and am bombarded with delicious options, I am ravenous. My grocery store trips take an eternity, due to the amount of time I spend waging an internal war with myself over whether or not it is necessary to buy that bag of pizza flavored goldfish. It suddenly seems reasonable to purchase a huge bag of frosted animal cookies. I try to focus on my list and skip the tempting aisles all together, but the grocery stores are tricksy little boogers and strategically place my favorite foods in places where they practically leap into my cart. The second I spot those little Keebler Rainbow Chip Cookies, looking all tasty at the end of an aisle, I become completely convinced that if I do not purchase them, I will pass out on the spot and my entire quality of life will plunge for eternity. After trips to the grocery store, I am frequently exhausted from the emotional anguish that I have endured.

Usually, I am able to escape the grocery store without too many impulse buys. Due to my complete lack of self control, I try very hard to keep junk food out of my house. Lately, it has occurred to me that this strategy may not be working in my favor. Around 4:00 in the afternoon, I tend to find myself with a raging case of the munchies. I ransack my cupboards, looking for something delicious to tide me over until dinner. The search is always disappointing, so I decide to just eat everything in my house. Half a box of honey nut cheerios eaten straight from the box, 2 pickles, and piece of leftover Christmas stocking candy that I don't even like later, I realize that I would have been better off to just eat a dang cookie and get it over with.

I can't really think of a way to wrap up this post. For the last few months, I have been trying really really hard for eat super healthy and end the tumultuous relationship I have with food. I have done really well and dutifully eat my vegetables and only eat one dessert a week. But bad news. I kind of hate every second of it. And I would sell my soul for a cookie right now.

I'm going to go make some. So sue me.

Turns out I would rather be fat and happy than skinny and hungry.

3 comments:

  1. bahahahaha. i feel the same way. it's unfortunate. i went to the store to buy orange rolls tonight for dinner tonight. and ate two. i would have eaten more, except they had to rise for 1 hour, and i had to save the other two for levi. boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that hungry is the antithesis of happy for you ;) Try eating really healthy for 2-3 days a week, and moderately healthy for 2-3 days, and then eat whatever you want for 2 days. It helps. I used to do it that way, but its been hard with Ty being on TDY and what not. Good luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN sistah!!! I am trying to find a way to get motivated to start working out! my D.H. even took me shopping at a Nike outlet, got me some new running shoes, workout clothes & our gym set up in our garage... I have yet to move my behind and have found myself to have grown a bud-dunk-a-dunk of a behind! Food is just so GOOD these days!!!!

    ReplyDelete