Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Abby and I went running this afternoon. It was hot outside, and I was about 2/3 done with my run and pretty beat. I was halfway up a hill when I heard the start of Retreat. (For those who don't know, Retreat is when they take down the flag and play the National Anthem. You're supposed to stop what you're doing and stand still during the Anthem.) I really did not want to stop because I was almost done with my run and this was totally killing my momentum and motivation. But as I stood there, kind of annoyed, with my hand over my heart, listening to the Anthem, I was instantly humbled. As the Anthem played, I felt so much gratitude for the men and women who defend our country and the opportunity I have to know and support them. It occurred to me that I am really grateful for Retreat. It serves as a little reminder everyday of how I really do love and believe in America. It truly is worth fighting for.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
 Even though he'll never read this, 
I am so proud of you, Cary.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you. the Anthem never used to make me cry, but when I stop and have to listen to it, it will make me cry. Its what I get for marrying a military man :P I suppose we can call that a blessing. People don't realize what these people do to defend what we have & enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete